Zaytoun is a Community Interest Company, a social enterprise founded in 2004 to support Palestinian farmers through fair trade. 100% of our profits are reinvested into furthering this mission.
The company’s turnover is around £1.3m, primarily generated through the import and distribution of a growing range of artisanal produce in the UK and Ireland, which includes olive oil, za’atar, maftoul, freekeh, almonds, Medjoul dates and olive oil soap. Zaytoun also organises tours of Palestine which relate to its product sales and marketing and fulfilment of its mission. All of Zaytoun’s activities aim to sustainably support farmers, connect them to consumers, and celebrate Palestine’s rich cultural and culinary heritage while raising awareness of the hardships faced by farming communities living under occupation.
The company and the products have won several awards over the past few years:
2015 - Social Enterprise UK Award winner - International Impact
2016 - Fairtrade International Award winner – Global Trader
2016 - Ethical Consumer Best Buy for Zaytoun organic & Fairtrade olive oil
2016 - Soil Association’s Best of Organic Market (BOOM Award) finalist for organic & Fairtrade olive oil.
Role of the Board
The Board is currently made up of 4 executive and 2 non-executive Directors. The Directors support Zaytoun’s work and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are managed by the executive Directors reporting to the Managing Director, the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Non-executive Directors of the Board provide crucial support and guidance as our company grows its sales, and tackles the challenges inherent in working with producers and supply chains operating under military occupation.
Over the next year, Zaytoun will develop a strategy that will bolster its sustainability, which will involve exploring alternative suppliers, sources of income, new activities, markets and beneficiaries. Zaytoun is looking to the Board for expertise, support and strategic guidance to help the company navigate through this process while continuing to deliver on its mission. We are looking to appoint board members with an entrepreneurial background who are enthused by Zaytoun’s mission with its strong commitment to Palestine and the principles of Fairtrade, and bring with them some of the following skills and experience:
Knowledge and skills
- Support the Executive team to perform and deliver on the company’s stated mission
- Be available to give counsel to Executive Directors concerning their area of expertise
- Contribute to the effective and efficient administration of Zaytoun
- Actively participate in discussions, contribute to formulating strategy and decision-making.
- Able to commit time to attend four Board meetings per year (3 hours each); commit time to review board papers and give feedback.
- Ensure that Zaytoun complies with its governing document, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Demonstrate a strong passion and commitment to the company, its mission, strategic objectives and cause
- Problem solving skills and creative thinking
- Ability to participate in a collaborative team environment, demonstrating flexibility, tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen effectively and be open to challenge.
Remuneration: The role of non-executive director is not accompanied by any financial remuneration, although travel and meal expenses may be claimed.
Term: Non-executive director will serve an initial 1-year term and is eligible for re-appointment.
Location: 1 Gough Square, London EC4A 3DE
Please apply by sending a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 28th July.