Chair – Zaytoun Board of DirectorsZaytoun’s mission and scope of activities
Zaytoun is a Community Interest Company, a social enterprise founded in 2004 to support Palestinian farmers through fair trade. 100% of our profits are reinvested into furthering this mission.
The company’s turnover is around £1.3m currently importing and distributing a growing range of artisanal produce in the UK and Ireland, which includes olive oil, za’atar, maftoul, freekeh, almonds, Medjoul dates and olive oil soap.
All of Zaytoun’s activities aim to sustainably support farmers, and celebrate Palestine’s rich cultural and culinary heritage while raising awareness of the hardships faced by farming communities living under occupation.
The company and the products have won several awards over the past few years:
2015 - Social Enterprise UK Award winner - International Impact
2016 – Fairtrade International Award winner – Global Trader
2016 – Ethical Consumer Best Buy for Zaytoun organic & Fairtrade olive oil
2016 – Soil Association’s Best of Organic Market (BOOM Award) finalist for organic & Fairtrade olive oil
Role of the Board
The Board is currently made up of 4 executive and 2 non-executive Directors. The Directors support Zaytoun’s work and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are managed by the executive Directors reporting to the Managing Director, the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Non-executive Directors of the Board provide crucial support and guidance as our company grows its sales, and tackles the challenges inherent in working with producers and supply chains operating under military occupation.
Over the next year, Zaytoun will develop a strategy that will bolster its sustainability, which will involve exploring alternative suppliers, sources of income, new activities, markets and beneficiaries. Zaytoun is looking to the Board for expertise, support and strategic guidance to help the company navigate through this process while continuing to deliver on its mission.
We are looking to appoint a Chair who is motivated and enthused by Zaytoun’s mission; who has a commitment to Palestine and the principles of fair trade as well as experience in the FMCG sector with strong commercial and financial management skills.
- To ensure that the Board operates within its objectives and provides adequate support and clear strategic direction for the company.
- To ensure that the Board fulfils its responsibilities for the effective governance and financial health of the company, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability
- To ensure that Board members receive accurate, timely and clear information to enable them to monitor performance, make sound decisions and give appropriate advice to promote the success of the Company.
- To manage Board meetings so that sufficient time is allowed for the discussion of complex or contentious issues and that all members' contributions are encouraged and valued.
- To help the Board make decisions and monitor that they are implemented
- To support the Managing Director to perform and deliver on the company’s stated mission
- To lead the planning and running of Board meetings
- To act as an ambassador for Zaytoun and its mission
- Previous Board level experience at senior strategic leadership level within a trading organisation ideally in the FMCG sector
- Successful management track record
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events
Knowledge and skills
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the sector that the company is operating in and current issues affecting it
- Ability to deliver on social mission within a business context
- Strong leadership and problem solving skills
- Excellent commercial and financial acumen
- Demonstrate a strong passion and commitment to the company, its strategic objectives and cause
- Exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities and be comfortable in an ambassadorial role
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of the company
- Foster and promote a collaborative team environment
- Able to commit time to attend four Board meetings per year; possible travel; time to manage the Board and possibly engage with shareholders
Term: The Chair will serve an initial 1-year term and is eligible for re-appointment
Location: 1 Gough Square, London EC4A 3DE